Thursday, February 18, 2010

Doctor dilemmas...

Well, I am 11 6/7 weeks today (12 weeks tomorrow) and I had my 2nd OB appointment this morning. I got to hear the baby's heartbeat again, and it sounded like a real heartbeat this time instead of inaudible static. That was really the only exciting thing that happened....pretty routine visit (sorry, no new pictures), but all looks fine and dandy so far.

I am really bummed because I have a GREAT doctor, who is very personable, has a great staff, and has a private practice (so she would be my ONLY doctor the whole way through AND on THE day).........BUT......she only has privileges at Walton Medical, which, if you are not from around here, is....umm....let's say it is LESS than nice, and it is quite old and very VERY small. It is the trailer park of hospitals. But, the upside to it being so small is that you receive very personalized care, but if ANYTHING goes wrong, they are not equipped to handle any kind of huge emergency.... am not PLANNING on having any type of emergency, but it really isn't in my hands! Plus it is 30-45 minutes from our house.

SO...now I have to start all over looking for a new doctor. The problem with that is that I live in metro Atlanta, and 99.9% of the OB/GYNs around here are part of a huge group practice...meaning that I am just another patient, a number. I want to find ONE doctor, not have to see a new face and explain my entire life story every time I go for a check up.

My mom and I took a tour of the L&D at Eastside tonight, and the facility looks nice, but the staff was a bit of a mess. The best thing Eastside has going for it is that it is so close to our house, maybe 10-15 minutes because of Snellville traffic. I have been hospitalized 2 different times at Eastside for about a week each time, once in 98 and once in 2000, and as far as hospitals go, it was great, and I felt like I received excellent care.

So, this is my dilemma....and I am pretty sad about it all, not to mention that I have had some pregnancy "moments" emotionally lately, including a huge mess of a crying fit yesterday because of some design work I am doing for a client. Dave is being very patient with me and is very supportive, so that is a huge blessing.

The #1 question people ask me, oddly enough, is if I have been sick at all....it is just a little weird when you tell someone you are pregnant and the first thing they want to know is if you puke a lot or not .... so, in case you are also wondering, no...no I have not been sick one little bit. My mom said she was never sick during either of her pregnancies, so maybe it runs in the family :)

However, poor Dave is sick. Not throwing up, just a cold I think. Dave never gets sick, but this is the 2nd time he has been sick since we found out we are expecting....oh the irony.

Well, that's about it for now. I will keep the updates coming as soon as get any new news!

~Robbi

1 comment:

  1. I understand your frustration about trying to find a doctor AND hospital you like. Out of all the doctors at the practice where I was a patient, I only liked one. My hope that she would handle Brady's delivery kept me coming back, but I did have to see every other doctor and deal with all their quirks. It did work out for her to perform my c-section, so I guess it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete